Combining the traditional with the latest cutting edge teaching and learning facilities, Wade Deacon High School offers the perfect environment within which all pupils can achieve.
The school’s ethos of ‘A Commitment to Excellence’ permeates through every aspect of school life. A disciplined, supportive and purposeful working environment enables pupils to excel across the whole curriculum, reflected in the success that pupils enjoy year on year at both Key Stages 3 & 4. Wade Deacon’s external examination results are consistently well above the national average.
Mutual respect, hard work and a relentless desire to achieve the highest standards are the hallmarks of our school. As we celebrate over 500 years of education, we look back with pride at our roots and forward with confidence and a determination to provide the very best for each and every pupil in our care.
Wade Deacon High School traces its history back to 1507 when the original grammar school was founded by Bishop William Smyth.
The main building was opened in 1931 as Wade Deacon Grammar School, named after Sir Henry Wade Deacon. He was a prominent local industrialist and for many years, chairman of the Local Education Committee.
The school became fully comprehensive in 1974 and is set on a large campus with extensive playing fields and very good sporting facilities.
All pupils are entitled to an educational environment in which their individual abilities and talents are fully developed.
Quality teaching to the highest standards that produces excellent examination results.
A caring community spirit with happy and successful pupils at its centre.
An environment in which respect, courtesy and integrity towards other people abound.
A wide range of extra-curricular activities with particular strengths in music and physical education.
Many opportunities for pupils to contribute to, and enhance the life of, our wider community.
A variety of social activities to engage pupils of different ages, abilities and interests.